If your partner has left very suddenly with your money and/or your children you need to take immediate action. Although you will inevitably be going through a very upsetting experience you must start thinking about your rights and what you can do to protect yourself in this situation.

Service housing

If your spouse or civil partner deserts you (the Service person), your entitlement to SFA might change: 

  • If your personal status category (PStatCat) changes from 1 to 2 you continue to have entitlement to SFA. 
  • If your PStatCat changes from 1 to either 3, 4, or 5, your entitlement to SFA stops. The Housing Allocations Service Centre (HASC) may serve you a 93 days’ notice to vacate the property. If you are in PStatCat 3, 4 or 5 you can apply for surplus SFA.
  • You might have a continued entitlement to SFA (regardless of PStatCat) because of your appointment.

Talk to you local Service Commander as soon as possible. See Where to live when you are divorcing for more information.

As soon as it is clear that your partner has abandoned you and you are worried that they may deal with finances without telling you or have taken your children then you need to think about what you can do to protect your position and take urgent legal advice. 

Protecting your financial position

The links below should help you in understanding what to do in this situation. These pages will provide you with information on what to do with the family home, your savings and bank accounts, bills, injunctions and child maintenance if you have been left to care for the children.

There is also some advice on where you can seek professional help. This page will also help you if your partner has left with your children as in this case you should contact a professional straight away.

Protect your financial position during divorce or separation

Temporary or interim maintenance agreements

Get professional help with divorce or separation