What happens to your living arrangements when a relationship breaks down is the main worry for most people. Whether you’re married or not you still have rights over the family home.

Read on to find out what your options are whether you live in Service Family Accommodation, have your own home or are renting.


If you’re in Service accommodation you may be able to stay awhile whether you’re the Service person or their family – see Service housing.

When ending a marriage or civil partnership and you have your own home, you need to know how you own it, who has the right to live in it and how it affects your financial settlement - see Your home and your divorce settlement.

If you’re renting and your relationship breaks down you’ll need to decide whether one of you continues with the tenancy and all it involves, or not – see What to do about the home you rent during separation.

If you have a mortgage on your property, you will need to think about what will happen to it. Will one of you keep the mortgage or will you sell up? See What to do about a mortgage during separation.

Urgent help

If you need immediate advice about your housing rights, contact a solicitor in England and WalesNorthern Ireland or Scotland, or the housing advice charity Shelter. You could also try one of the many Service charities, including The Royal British Legion - see Get Help Now.

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) may also be able to help with advice on your housing options.

Last reviewed: 30/05/2018