Housing issues

Whilst you are still serving, the first point of contact for all questions about civilian housing is the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO). The staff there can give you information about your housing options - whether renting or buying. The JSHAO also runs regular briefingss for personnel and their families before leaving the Services.

If you have already left the Services, there are a number of charities that can give you advice about housing, and others that provide affordable accommodation, both permanent and temporary.


All external links are subject to the External Links Policy in our Terms and Conditions.

Organisation  Telephone/email   Website  Notes

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)

01980 618925

Email: AWS-JSHAO-Mailbox.co.uk 


Provides information and advice for serving personnel and their families on civilian housing options. 

Houses for Heroes Scotland


0131 557 1188

Email: mail@svgca.org.uk

Houses for Heroes Scotland

Provides reasonably priced rental housing for disabled veterans in Scotland.

Housing Allocations Service Centre (HASC)

0800 169 6322

01980 618925 


Allocations, appointments and general enquires re Service Family Accommodation.

Housing options Scotland      

0131 247 1400

Email: militarymatters@housingoptionsscotland.org.uk

Military Matters

A specialist project providing an independent housing brokerage service to veterans and their families.

Scottish Veterans' Residences


0131 556 0091

Email: info@svronline.org

Scottish Veterans Residences

Provides high quality accommodation for veterans who are homelsss or in need.
SSAFA 020 7463 9398 housing@ssafa.org.uk  SSAFA  Information and advice on housing issues. Some accommodation also available. 
SSAFA Stepping Stone Homes  020 7463 9398  SSAFA  Accommodation for separated wives, Servicewomen or ex-Sevicewomen and their families. Contact through unit welfare office, SSAFA social worker or welfare worker.
Shelter     0808 800 4444 Shelter Advice and information on housing and homelessness.

01748 833797



Single Persons Accommodation Centre for Ex-Services. Provides an accommodation placement service for single personnel being discharged from all three services. 


020 7385 2110    

Email: info@stoll.org.uk


Provides housing and rehabilitative support to vulnerable and disabled ex-Service personnel. They also provide training and employment advice and support.

Veterans' Aid    

0800 0126 867

Veterans' Aid

Caring for veterans in crisis (housing, clothing, food, addiction and mental health issues).

Citizens Advice 

England - 08444 111 444

Wales - 08444 77 20 20

Scotland - 0808 800 1007

Northern Ireland - 08452 666 696
Northern Ireland email trbl@citizensadvice.co.uk

Citizens Advice

Armed Services Advice Project Scotland

Advice on housing rights, problems with paying rent or mortgage, finding somewhere to live, problems with neighbours.

Find your local bureau


Last reviewed: 24/08/2015