Charitable help and concessions

Managing on your own is tough. When someone dies it’s common in the first few months to get a lot of support from friends, family and the Forces. And then life moves on - or it does for them, maybe not for you.

You should receive support from your Visiting Officer for up to two years following your bereavement if you want it. If you are finding things are difficult, there are many other organisations and charities that are ready to give you a helping hand.

If you have money worries

If you are in financial difficulties it is good to face up to this as soon as possible. The Royal British Legion's Benefits and Money Advice Service has been set up to help people like you sort out their debts and claim any benefits to which you may be entitled. They have a lot of experience of dealing with people in your situation and won’t judge you or your actions. Go online for live chat or call 0808 802 8080.

If you need some extra cash

Maybe you are on top your finances but you know that you just can’t afford to buy that new fridge or washing machine that you need. Or you need a holiday and you know you can’t afford it. There are a number of military charities that you can apply to for assistance and you should not feel bad about approaching them, they understand how difficult life is.

For ratings who served in the Royal Navy, go to the Royal Naval Benevolent Trust. For officers, go to the Association of Royal Navy Officers.

For those who served in the Army, go to the Army Benevolent Fund. 

For those who served in the Royal Air Force, see the RAF Benevolent Fund.
The Royal British Legion also offers grants for immediate needs to the families of those who have served in all three Services, as well as providing holidays for families and adventure breaks for teenagers. For more information on help provided by the Legion go to their website or call 0808 802 8080.

War widows and widowers and their dependants who are getting an Armed Forces pension are eligible for a Forces Railcard which gives 1/3 off rail travel. This is not available to war pensioners. War widows or widowers can apply for a Railcard through The Royal British Legion. Telephone 0808 802 8080  Email:

For more money management tips see Dealing with finances and insurance after your partner dies.

If you need more help and support 

If you need help in just dealing with the grieving process, Cruse Bereavement Care has local branches with experienced individuals you can talk to. They also have a section on their website dedicated to the Military Family with practical tips and advice on the situations you may encounter .

SSAFA also has support groups for bereaved families. You can find out more on its website.

If the person who was died was a veteran, you can contact Veteran's Gateway - they act as your first point of contact for whatever support you need, whether you are based in the UK or abroad.

Last reviewed: 04/06/2018