Criminal injuries compensation

Whether you're Serving or not, if you are an innocent victim of a violent crime and are physically or mentally injured, you may be able to claim compensation.

If the crime occurred in England, Scotland or Wales you can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority for an award.      

If you are a serving member of the Armed Forces, and are a victim of a violent crime while serving overseas, you can apply for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) Scheme. This applies to anyone dependent on you too who is with you overseas.

There is also help to claim compensation if you are injured as a result of a violent crime while overseas but not serving. 

Injured in England, Scotland or Wales

To be eligible for an award you must:

  • have been injured in an act of violence in England, Scotland or Wales
  • have reported the incident to the police - it doesn't matter whether there was a criminal conviction or not
  • be injured enough to qualify for the minimum award of £1,000, and             
  • have made your application within two years of the incident that caused you injury.

For further information about awards and details of how to apply, go to the Justice website.

Injured when serving overseas

The Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) Scheme (CICO) is a discretionary scheme under which the MOD makes payments to members of the Armed Forces and their accompanying dependants who, while serving overseas become a blameless victim of violent crime.

CICO is a scheme of last resort so you should always assess beforehand whether a claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, where service in the Armed Forces is the predominant cause of an injury, would be more appropriate - see Injury post 6 April 2005.

More information on CICO, and how to apply can be found on the website.

Injured outside England, Scotland or Wales when not serving

If you are injured in a violent crime when overseas but not serving, you will need to apply to the country where the incident happened for compensation. 

If the crime took place in Northern Ireland you can find more information about making a claim on the nidirect website. 

For crimes in countries in the European Union, the EU Compensation Assistance Team can help you make an application. 

Not all countries outside the EU have a compensation scheme. If the crime took place in a country outside the European Union you have to apply directly to the country where the crime happened - see  

Last reviewed: 14/03/2017