Disability grants and benefits

If you have a disability, financial support may be available from the state, the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, a War Disablement Pension and from one of the many Service charities, to help you manage.

State help is not paid automatically – so to avoid missing out, claim as soon as you think you’re eligible.

What support is available?

You may be able to get compensation for any injury or illness caused by service in the Armed Forces from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. You may also be eligible for a War Disablement Pension - see War pensions and compensation for injury. You can also find information on Gov.uk.

Also remember to check whether you had taken out an insurance policy to cover such an event and see Making a claim.

There is financial support available in the form of funding from your local authority if you need long-term care and state benefits - see the Injury and illness section. And there are also grants to help adapt your home to make your life easier - see Adapting a home.

Make sure you apply for state benefits as they’re not paid automatically. There is also help for the people caring for you – see Becoming a carer.

Need help figuring out disability benefits?

Although disability benefits are there to help you, figuring them out and filling in the forms can often be complicated. To get some expert help and advice for free, call these helplines or arrange a face-to-face meeting. While the disability benefit system is being reformed, it is particularly important to make sure you get specialist help.

Any compensation you get from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme does not affect your eligibility for the Personal Independence Payment. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This replaces Disability Living Allowance if you have a health condition or disability and are aged 16 to 64. It helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability. What you’ll get is not based on your condition, but how your condition affects you.

You’ll need an assessment so Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) can work out the level of help you get. Your award will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

PIP is made up of two components - 'daily living' and 'mobility'; whether you get one or both parts depends on how your condition affects you.

If you're in England, Wales or Scotland, go to the Gov.uk website to find out more about the Personal Independence Payment. 

If you’re in Northern Ireland, find out more about Personal Independence Payment on the NI Direct website.

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

The MOD introduced the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) in April 2013.  AFIP is intended to ensure that, under the new system, seriously injured veterans will receive at least the amount that they are currently receiving in Disability Living Allowance.

You will be eligible to receive the payment if you receive an AFCS award for an injury assessed at tariff 1-8, or if you receive a GIP of 50 per cent or more.  If you are eligible, you will not need an additional medical assessment to receive the AFIP, and you will not have to undergo regular re-assessments to maintain your eligibility.

AFIP is an alternative to PIP and so you cannot receive both.  However, if you are not eligible for AFIP, you can still make a claim for PIP. For more information, see the most frequently asked questions about AFIP.

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim Constant Attendance Allowance if you get a War Disablement Pension and you need daily care and attention because of a disability. There are four different weekly rates and how much you get depends on the extent of your disability and the amount of care you need.  See Gov.uk for more information. 

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

  • You may receive a reduction on your Council Tax bill if you’re disabled or suffer from a mental illness. To find out more, or to apply for a Council Tax discount, contact your local authority – find the details on the Gov.uk website. Council Tax only applies to people living in England, Wales and Scotland.
  • If you live in Northern Ireland, you might qualify for a reduction in your rates through the Rate Relief Scheme. Find out more about the Rate Relief Scheme in Northern Ireland on the NI Direct website.

Benefits for carers

If you’re caring for someone who is ill or disabled, it can have an impact on your financial situation too. Help is available – you don't even have to be related to, or live with the person you care for – see Becoming a carer

Managing your money

It's a good time to plan your finances and to find out how far any grants and benefits might stretch.  Use our Budget planner to work out your new budget - just input the figures and it will do the sums for you.

Financial and other help

If you need financial support or advice contact The Royal British Legion, the Veterans Gateway,  Veterans UK (formerly SPVA), SSAFA or any of the many Service charities, see Other Service Organisations on the Legion's website.

Last reviewed: 30/05/2018