Consumer rights

When you buy something, your rights are protected in law. You can get help if you are treated unfairly and when things go wrong. This includes, faulty goods, poor service, rogue traders, builder problems or problems with contracts.

There are different laws depending on where you bought the goods or services. Check out the table below for where to get help.

All external links are subject to the External Links Policy in our Terms and Conditions.

Agency  Telephone/email  Website  Notes

England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland

Citizens Advice Consumer Service

England & Scotland 

08454 04 05 06


08454 04 05 05 (Welsh) 

Email - contact form

Northern Ireland -see Consumerline below

Report a problem to Trading Standards

Citizens Advice - Consumer - England

Citizens Advice - Consumer - Scotland

Citizens Advice - Consumer - Wales

Citizens Advice - Consumer - Northern Ireland

Find out about your rights and what action you can take.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am- 5pm.

Northern Ireland  Consumerline

0300 123 6262 

Online complaints form 

A one-stop shop offering free help and advice to NI consumers. Avoid scams, dodgy deals, make a complaint and stay up to date with consumer law.

European Union

UK European Consumer Centre 

08456 04 05 03


For complaints about goods or services you have bought in another European country.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 10am-3pm ex Bank holidays.

Republic of Ireland
Citizens Information

0761 07 4000

Information on public services and entitlements in Ireland, provided by the Citizens Information Board.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 9.30am-5pm.

Resolver - online tool     


A free, assisted complaints resolution service. It can help you to automatically create and manage your complaint from start to finish.