Expenses and allowances

As a member of the Armed Forces you can apply for expenses if you have to pay out for certain things while at work.

You can also apply for a number of allowances to help you. The idea is that you shouldn’t be financially disadvantaged because of what you’re required to do in your job.

Find out what’s available and keep yourself MoneyFit by claiming your entitlements.


Allowance rates are changed frequently and allowance policy is kept under review. This means that allowances can be varied or cancelled at any time and you shouldn’t make financial plans on the assumption that current allowances will continue unchanged.

You can only claim allowances in accordance with the policy and rate in effect at the time the activity took place. You should always check before you make arrangements, to make sure you are not left out of pocket.

For example, you will not be able to claim mileage if a Service vehicle was available for the journey you made, or claim for a hotel if Service accommodation was available.

The detailed Tri-Service Regulations for Allowances can be found in JSP 752 or ask your Unit Admin for assistance.

Money fitness tip

Always check whether there's an allowance you might claim to help your money go further.

In general terms allowances are grouped as follows:

  • Accommodation
  • Subsistence (food and drink)
  • Travel (inc flight allowance for Get you Home and Concessionary Travel for immediate family)
  • Separation
  • Location
  • Relocation
  • Clothing
  • Education
  • Compensation and reimbursement

If you think you may be entitled to an allowance contact your Unit Admin or see JSP 752.

JPA audits

Although you will normally make a claim on JPA and self certify that it is valid, remember that claims can be audited at any time.

Make sure you only claim for what you are entitled to and actually spend, and KEEP RECEIPTS for two years. If you have claimed wrongly, you might have to pay back the money.

If you knowingly inflate a claim or claim for a journey you did not make you may face disciplinary action for fraud.

Don’t get caught out - if in doubt, check before you travel or commit any money that you can claim for it. If you are unsure how to make a claim on JPA, check with your Unit HR.

Last reviewed: 18/09/2017